f0zKg0J4zFLYz-Yq0aednQVqREE Once Upon a Prologue: Review: Breathe by Sarah Crossan
Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, November 5, 2012

Review: Breathe by Sarah Crossan






Breathe by Sarah Crossan
Published: October 2, 2012
Source: ARC from the publisher
Rating: Beam-worthy
Add it/Purchase: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N
Connect with the author: Twitter | Website
 ___

Inhale. Exhale. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe... The world is dead. The survivors live under the protection of Breathe, the corporation that found a way to manufacture oxygen-rich air.

Alina: has been stealing for a long time. She's a little jittery, but not terrified. All she knows is that she's never been caught before. If she's careful, it'll be easy. If she's careful.

Quinn: should be worried about Alina and a bit afraid for himself, too, but even though this is dangerous, it's also the most interesting thing to happen to him in ages. It isn't every day that the girl of your dreams asks you to rescue her.

Bea: wants to tell him that none of this is fair; they'd planned a trip together, the two of them, and she'd hoped he'd discover her out here, not another girl.

And as they walk into the Outlands with two days' worth of oxygen in their tanks, everything they believe will be shattered. Will they be able to make it back? Will they want to?



My Review

Breathe is the debut novel by author Sarah Crossan, and I have to say, I have extremely mixed emotions when it comes to the story within.  This book is the first in a dystopian series or trilogy, and while ultimately, I will read the books to come, I'm still somewhat disappointed in some aspects of Breathe.  

With a fascinating premise - a dying world, no air, and a domed civilization where any source of air that isn't controlled is illegal - I expected to dive right into Crossan's book.  Instead, I struggled through the first half of Breathe.  I think it's a lot to do with the flawed characters.  Quinn is a sheltered, rich boy, and doesn't evolve beyond that for almost the entire book.  Bea is, to be honest, a very weak character, the type I have trouble sympathizing with.  Alina by far was my favorite character - she showed strength and determination, even in the most terrifying circumstances.  I kept expecting more from these characters, but they never lived up to my hopes, and sadly, most of their actions and personalities felt like stereotypes.  

However, the last third or so of Breathe is much better.  The plot came together and various character's motivations became clearer, even as new questions and foundations were laid for the sequel.  I wish the entire novel read as clearly as the final portion did!  I'm excited enough to read the sequel, because I want to see what's in store for Alina (who again, I have to say, is my favorite), Quinn, and Bea.  The latter two characters are still somewhat immature though, so I hope that they grow in the coming book/s.  



You're sure to fall for:

Renegade by J.A. Souders

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for visiting! I appreciate every comment, and in return, will try to visit a recent post of yours and comment. PLEASE leave a link back to your blog in the comment so I can come to your blog. And have a fabulous day!